Δευτέρα 9 Φεβρουαρίου 2009

On Beginings and on poetry...

Monday is alwayst the worst day of the week.I don't know why,maybe it's just something that is lingering upon me from my shool-days.This particular Monday however is quite special,not for any exeptional reason but just because I woke up feeling cheary and i was in a good mood during the day.However,it was kind of sad acknowledging that it was the lass seminar of a class I have really loved:my Breaching Boundaries class.I was given an once in a lifetime opportunity to read wonderful books(like Orwell's 1984)and been given a satisfactory analysis of them.
Aside from that though,this last seminar got me thinking about endings and beginings;no matter how much fun I had during this semester,or how much I enjoyed most of my classes I am not sorry to see the semester finishing.It was a difficult,long and demanding semester but this is not why I'm glad it has come to an end.The possibility of this new semester,which will be initiating in about a month gives me joy,knowing that I will have to follow all these new seminars which will provide me with new knowledge,I feel that this new knowledge will take me one step further to my goal(i have noted over and over again that I have no idea what this goal is).All i know is that life makes so much more sense now,than it did a year ago,i know things now which will rise me closer to my ideal-self and that is sufficient.
They have this debate going on in Oxford uni which I've found so interesting and fun to follow. Its about poetry and sciense:"Poetry is beautiful,but sciense is all that matters". Dr Macdonald who is currently debating in favor of poetry set in his speech that poetry isn't beautiful because it is not an ornament with no use,poetry does matter.
Applying to the term poetry all literary pieces,I scream that poetry DOES matter!!
I've been trying to figure out why poetry matters to me and I can't find the right words to do it.I want to keep off the word beautiful,so I'll just say that poetry has made my life meaningful,I am not very sure why the earth revolves around the sun but I know that the sun has never shone as brightly as it does when having read a book you cupture its meaning,its patterns,what the writer whishes to convey and accepting that or dissaproving it,nevertheless there is nothing like that particular moment of enlighntment,that moment when you understand who you truly are(taking into consideration that who you are equals to what you believe in).
Poetry matters to me i guess,because in the end of the day,poetry is all i have and i've never been happier, as i am right now that i realized this.